Thursday, March 6, 2014

Print: Hands Sharpening Dump Tool

I chose a easier negative for my second photo of the night. The neg is from the "Families of the Dump" series. I think the photo was made with the 60mm and Leica R6, the new camera I added to this trip. I love using this new tool it allows nice closeups like this, seeing through the lens of an SLR also leads to easier compositions. In the closeup photo a man is seated sharpening his dump tool.

The print is pretty basic, one burn mask, edge-corner burning and some minor dodging during the basic exposure. The only problem with the neg is some fine hair like objects in the lower right corner which I burned down. I had something sitting on the lens for a while one day in the dump, the same fine hair like stuff is in the identical position on multiple negs. I need to be more aware of cleaning my lens while working, when your in a place as dirty as the dump its hard to keep your camera gear lint free!

Here is a photo from the printing of the sharpening neg:

Version 3, Grade 3 1/2