Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mae Ra Moe Refugee Camp

I have been doing more research on the Burmese refugee camps on the Thai/Burma border. One camp Mae Ra Moe established in 1995 (where Zoya Phan's family stayed), still had a population of 18948 people in 2012. New arrivals continue to come to the camp after the cyclone Nargis that hit Burma in 2008 and for access to education.

Making portraits in the camps and giving a voice to the people has to be the right way to go, telling those stories and raising awareness has to be the right thing to do. I am not sure about access in the camps and if I would be allowed to shoot there, but I want to give it a try. Like I said earlier I think this coming trip I will do some exploring and try to gain access, make friends, contacts etc. Later on if I do get access I can go ahead and make portraits there (possibly with the 600 sheets of 8x10 Tri-x I recently purchased).

Here is a video link filmed inside the camp:
http://vimeo.com/44556727





Cyclone Nargis information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Nargis