Thursday, January 24, 2013

Leica Lens Repair, Bad News

I got some bad news on my 28mm Leica lens I sent out for repairs. I dropped the lens last year by accident (it fell off my camera when I accidentally pressed the release button). The lens fell on its base, and I was hoping it would be a simple repair but it looks like its going to cost a bunch of money. Got this email today from the repair people. How much is this going to cost me?

Hi Gerry,

We won’t be able to repair your 28mm lens here as is appears that there has been some shifting of the internal elements. We will have to ship this to Leica Camera Inc. in New Jersey and may need to forward the lens to Germany for repair. We will need your consent to ship the lens out of the country so please let us know as soon as possible if this is okay with you.

Best regards,
.......