Thursday, January 31, 2013

Want To Shoot It To!!!

I got an email today from a Polish photojournalist and another from a Bangkok based photographer a few weeks back. My friend Rob told me my subjects are often shot by others and he is right, I will have to find my own unique way of telling this story, maybe the 4x5 camera can help with that.

I tried to help out both photographers the best I could, we are all in this together, trying to make good work and trying to raise awareness to the lives of our subjects.

Here are the emails:
Hi Gerry,

First of all I want to say - great photos in your portfolio.
My name is ............., I am from Poland, and I am a freelance photojournalist.
I've read about your plan of shooting families living on a rubbish dump in Mae Sot.
I'm going in March to Mae Sot and I want to do photo essay about the life of refugees in Mae Sot, including the people living in the landfill.
I just collect the information about the place. Have you ever been there?
Do you know if  anyone can go to the garbage dump ?
You know exactly where it is?
Could you write me something more about this place?

Thanks in advance.

 Hello Gerry,

I just wanted to compliment you on your boxing photos from the Klongtoey gym. They are wonderful.

I live in Thailand and am also interested in seeing if I can take some photos.  Did you find the people receptive to you being there and taking photos of them?...........


Anyway, beautiful photographs!

Kind regards
...............


Dear Gerry,

You are very kind to respond.  I'm so pleased to hear that they were receptive to you photographing them.  Did you need to contact the person in charge first?  I wonder if the gym is still there.  I suspect so...........

I will take some shots soon and perhaps I might be able to share them with you if you are interested.

Again, thank you for being so kind to take the time to reply to me.

Warm regards
..............