Saturday, May 28, 2011

Would Rather Be Invisible

I am working on my little speech for the show but do not want to talk about GERRY!! I hate listening to those types of speeches, I plan to give a very quick 2 or 3 sentence overview of me, then move on and talk longer about the pictures in the show. I think giving a bit of background on the shots might be fun for the people, sort of a story behind the photograph. The thing I do not like about doing that is that a picture should be able to stand on its own without all the verbal blabbering crap, the art speak nonsense etc. I have been asked to talk so will live up to that obligation, will make it a short sweet 5 minute thing.

Am making up a list of people I am inviting to the show, the friends section is by far the biggest, something like 25, mostly photo club folk. I am not really keyed up about inviting friends, they sometimes feel the obligation to pat you on the back and give praise, possibly false praise. Praise in general is also something I am not keen on. If the photograph communicates the message I want it to then that's great but the praise and the pats on the back always make my stomach churn and makes me feel uncomfortable. Personally I prefer people who do not know me and who respond or do not respond to the photographs in a genuine way. I wish I could just be the anonymous Mr Yaum, that's one of the reasons I invented the guy. I am not important it's the photographs that matter. It is the subjects, the people in the photographs that are important, I would rather be invisible and watch quietly from the sidelines.

I will live up to my commitment thou and do what is asked, its part of the process unfortunately and I need to learn to live with it.