Thursday, May 5, 2011

Running Out Of Time

Am running out of time to get the show prints ready, the show opens June 3rd and I need to have all the pictures framed and mounted earlier that week.

I am a bit burned out after the 20 hour darkroom session over the last few days, will concentrate on doing some of the color prints today which will be a change of pace. If I could make 3 to 5 color prints in the remaining days this week then that would make my final weeks work easier.

I am going to go cut the frames with my friend Rob tonight. I got all the supplies I need now, RA-4 chemistry, Kodak metalic paper is coming next week a 20 inch by 200 foot roll (I have a few sheets left in a box I can use this week). I also have all the warm tone Ilford b/w paper I need. My only real concern is where I can get the over mats cut, I talked to the folks at the place I bought the framing material and they agreed to cut the over mats but am not 100% sure they will, might have to find a backup place to do it.

Yesterday I dropped off the two prints at the Alberta Foundation for the arts, one they requested and one replacement print (of the same subject as the one they requested). It was a relief to finish off that little project. I hope at least one of the prints is accepted but if not I will try again next year and every year after. I would one day like to get 10 prints into this collection, not sure that is possible but you got to reach high sometimes. I also will start submitting work to the Art Bank of Canada next year. I want to get the work seen by a larger audience. I need to tell the stories of the people I photograph and want those photos to be seen and collected. If the work is collected then it can live past my lifetime, thru the work the people in the photographs can also live past their lifetimes, their stories can continue to be told. On a more practical level I could also use the money to help with my air ticket to Asia, I am planning two trips this year and need all the spare change I can muster (probably around $1400 a ticket). I need to get there, need to meet people, need to learn about their lives and most importantly I need to make more portraits.

The jury is looking over all the work in stage 2 of the Art by Acquisition process mid May. I should find out sometime in early June whether my photograph/s will be part of the Alberta provincial art collection.