Friday, May 20, 2011

Hard Edged 35mm Photo Story

I need to find a hard edged subject to photograph, something with lots of depth and humanity to do a photo story on. Drug addiction? Brothel life? Violent crime? Man made disaster (like Minamata disease)? Some story that I can tell that raises awareness and hopefully leads to positive change.

Looking at the important work of Sebastiao Salgado and W. Eugene Smith is inspirational. I want to tell an equally powerful story, Failure is a possibility but I would rather try and fail than live with the regret of not trying.

What story? I have to scan online news and look for it.

What about the life of an average poor man? or family? their struggle to survive, loss, anger, love of family etc. concentrate on one impoverished families life from every angle. Not sure it is visually dramatic enough but it certainly is a human enough subject.