Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Partial Failure

Started working in the darkroom 20 hours ago trying to get my 2 prints made for the Foundation For The Arts round 2 submission. I was able to make a nice version of one negative, it was very complex with 3 burning masks, burning at 2 different contrasts and 3 areas of dodging. I am quite happy with this print, ended up with several that should work and that I can use in the group show as well. The second print broke me thou, I had all kinds of trouble with it. Ended up spending about 5 hours on it plus the time last week and got no where, one big mess.

I am exhausted and out of time so I took another version of this photo (young monk), a better version in my opinion, that I already had printed and am submitting that. I wrote on the plastic cover sheet that the original negative was damaged (true). Not sure this will fly, they asked for one image and I am giving them another, that does not generally work in these situations. The subject is the same but the composition is different.

I did my best, wish I would have another day or 2. I am going to take a bath then go drop off the prints at their office. Hope the first print gets accepted and that they are not put off that I added the different negative print.

Got to go get this done, then come back and sleep, damn tired!