Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Khon Thai 4x5 Photographs

This is about it when it comes to new 4x5 Khon Thai photos, I only shot a bit of this style of image on the streets of Thailand (once I built up my nerve!). I hope to continue shooting this way with 4x5 and 5x7 cameras in the future. I want to bring in reflectors if possible to help with the lighting as Jock Sturges recommended to me. I also want to capture a wider variety of people. Do not want to do TYPES as August Sander classified them, that seems to class oriented. I just want to meet people from all parts of society and record who they are on a piece of film, to show the" commonality of all man/womankind" as Paul Strand would say.If all goes well over the next couple of years in this style of shooting I might move up to using a 8x10 camera on the streets/roads/all areas of Thailand.

Tonight am developing my last box of 4x5 b/w Tri-x film (have a few sheets of color Portra as well do yet). I am very excited about the prospect of shooting more Khon Thai large format street portraiture later this year. I am mostly over my fears of shooting the large camera on the street, now I just need to save money so I can afford 5 more weeks of making photographs in Thailand.

Note: the second shot of the man from Klong Toey slum was made with flash added. I think I prefer using daylight only but the flash will allow me to shoot in low light situations (indoors, late evening etc).