Thursday, January 20, 2011

10 Prints for the May Group Show

I have a group show to prepare for in May. I need to make a selection of 10 photographs. Initially I thought I might just do all color sex worker ring flash heads for the show (or at least a majority of color heads), now it looks more and more like the color head stuff might be pushed back to 4, 3 or 2 prints.

I am quite happy with the 4x5 Khon Thai photos that I have developed. There are plenty of photos that do not work, some tech problems etc but also negs that I like alot that communicate the message I wanted. I wish I had shot more in this style when I was in Thailand but what I did shoot I am relatively happy with. I think next trip the large format portraits will improve. Jock Sturges wrote to me of the importance of using reflectors, I think I want to try to start that next trip (might need an assistant thou to hold the darn things or a long long cable release!).

I am also happy with some of the 35mm Leica stuff. Lots of the 35mm photos do not work but the ones that do make up for the failures. With a 35mm camera you can sort of pounce on a subject (or the opposite shoot discreetly) and make a more natural looking image, capture a small piece of a reality that you find before it changes. When you set up the 4x5 and start talking and the like you sort of interfere with that reality. I usually ask permission before taking 35mm photos but there is still a spontaneity there that is lost with the larger cameras.

The 10 photo count might be something like this:

2-4 photos from the ring flash color sex worker head series.
2-5 photos from the 4x5 Khon Thai series.
2-5 photos from the 35mm Klong Toey Slum series.

At one point I was thinking of putting up 1 or 2 white background sex worker photos. I will have a show (group show) of that work in October and was thinking I could save on framing costs if I use the large frames for the 20x24 inch prints 2 times. I guess that is not going to happen now, I will have to buy frames for both shows, expensive!