Friday, January 28, 2011

Eugene Atget Calling

This morning before starting up in the darkroom (developing film), I was reading about some of Atget's work. I was looking over several of his pictures of workers, sex workers and also street workers of various kinds. Here is a man who shot photographs in Paris in the early 1900s, who used a glass plate view camera, who lived in a different time and world, yet his photographs speak to me and are influencing me, photography is truly a powerful medium. I hope I can make some comparability strong street portraits with my view camera of Thai workers my next trip to Bangkok. I plan on walking the streets and making photos of the street sellers, and people using carts and vehicles of various types to earn a living. Thank you Mr. Atget for the inspiration.