Monday, April 12, 2021

Photo Story: Young Boy With Lollipop

from Facebook, a few days back...

Tonight I was looking through some old files for some images to make digital negs of for Platinum-Palladium printing. I found this photo from the dump, made in 2018. I forgot I had made the pic.

The picture is of a young boy from a new family (Toe) to the dump, they lived in a open lean-two type structure, directly on top of the garbage. The family had almost nothing. They were a large family, a mother, father, 3 daughters (1 son in law) and one young son and a baby. This picture was made soon after I gave the boy a lollipop, late one night.
There was no lighting for the picture, I had to hold up a headlight to light the scene. One of the donators gave me some money to hand out directly to the families (she asked that money be handed out, not goods, something I usually do not do). I split up her donation and put the bills into envelopes. On my last night in the dump I handed out the envelopes to the families I felt needed it the most (hate playing that godish role). This boys family got 2 envelopes, one to the son-in law/oldest daughter recently married and one to the mother hugging her son in this photograph.
Canon 5D Mark 3 at about 10000 ISO-ASA with a 24-105mm lens.


Boy being held by mother, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, 2018