Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Igloo Cooler To Carry Silver Nitrate!

So I am working on a little project today. I got a free, used, large Igloo cooler from work last week, today I am adapting it. I bought new hinges and latches off Amazon for $25 CAD as they were broken and needed replacement. I then made up 4 large tubes from some old mat board, to hold 4 large 5000 ml glass laboratory style bottles. Today I am adding expandable foam to the inside of the cooler around the tubed bottles, 6 cans so far (expensive).

The Silver Nitrate bath solution is the most expensive part of the wet plate photographic process. The 4 bottles will eventually hold thousands of dollars worth of silver nitrate. I need to protect these bottles as best I can. There will be many a bumpy road in the future! I want to use glass so I can see the Silver Nitrate bath clearly.

This large cooler should be able to hold 20 000 ml of Silver Nitrate safely! I might be something similar for Collodion later on.

Note* I will add another 1 or 2 cans of more foam to the cooler, ran out of cans today! This stuff does not expand a much as I need it to expand.

A cooler that will be filled with 20000 ml of Silver Nitrate!!!

Update* Uh Oh!! The foam is EXPANDING!

No more foam needed! There might be too much!!