Thursday, October 24, 2019

Lens Support System

With the HF3535 Mammoth view camera almost made (2 weeks more) I dug out the 1780mm Nikkor F14 I purchased a few years back for the camera. Filip the skilled maker of the HF3535 has the flange for the lens in the Czech Republic which he will attach to one of 4 lensboards he is making for me.

The problem with a lens this big is the weight. If I only attach the lens to the camera via the lensboard it is most likely going to be break off at some point. I need additional support for this huge. very heavy peace of glass. I was thinking of adding a separate tripod support directly under the weight of the lens, with some kind of T BAR under the lens. Need help with the design of the support system so will send out a 'Help me please message" to all my photo friends on Facebook.

Note* This lens will be used on the HF3535 (HF35Q) as part of the major retirement photography project I am diving into. The make photographs while travelling across Canada multiple times, over a decade or more. KANATA will be a series of landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes and portraits in both wet plate  and on film using cameras 4x5 to 35x35 inches.

This is sort of an impossible dream project. How the hell do you photograph Canada? Still going to give it a go, will do my best. Hopefully making these photos will help keep things spiritually, physically and emotionally going through the later years. Heck it certainly will be challenging!
1780mm Nikkor F14
HF3535