Saturday, October 5, 2019

Bought Me A: New Wet Plate Collodion Portrait Head Brace Stand

Bought a long pole head brace gizmo from China with free shipping. The cost was $99 CAD. Hopefully this thing will work, the tripod is not included, I have all kinds of tripod legs I can use with it so that is not an issue. The idea behind these things is that you place it at the back of the head or neck area of your subject. This allows you to make photos with 5 ASA speed Wet Collodion emulsions without the subject moving on you.  They are sort of held in place. Very old school stuff. Now you understand why in all those old time pics everyone looks so GRUMPY! They all have a giant clamp on their neck-head.

With my coming cross Canada KANATA project this thing might become extremely useful. I should be able to use it with both sitting and standing portrait subjects. If I attach it to a set of  large firm tripod legs, its should, at least I hope it should allow me to make my portraits without subject movement. This is a $99 gamble! Hope it works!!