Sunday, November 7, 2021

Question About Slanting Compositions

Had a question asked of me about the slanting in some of the newer photographs. Here is that exchange.

Jack under the freeway, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok Thailand 2019

Question: from DNJ

"I'm curious about your decision to shoot on a slant?"
 
Answer: Me
 
"It is a new way I am looking at the world, a new way of shooting. I now like to photograph while talking to my subject, or allowing them to see my face with no camera in the way. A more face to face interaction, it seems more real. So now when shooting I am often holding the camera up blindly and using wide angle lens close, and using depth of field for focus or auto focus. I am making the selection of the image later, based on the emotions I/we felt at that moment. I think it is about caring less about compositions and more about the reality of the subject now, trying to get a bit into their reality. On a more practicle level, I think the lopsided ness of it all is also a bit disturbing, throws off the viewer and is symbolic of the subjects life. The attached slanted photo was made in 2019 as well for THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP series...?
 
Win Lay Auh in the dump at 530am, THE FAMILES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot Thailand, 2019