Friday, November 19, 2021

Possible THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, UNB Exhibition Image #1

from Facebook

There will also be an online zoom interview, and a 45 minute artist talk (in front of the pics) given by me on opening night. I will be able to tell the stories of the people in the pictures, spread the word about their lives. Share who they are, humanize them. I hope to make people care more.
There is also a $2077 CARFAC artist fee for the 2 exhibitions. I plan on donating part of that money to the families in the dump and the people under the freeway in Klong Toey slum, when I return in March 2022. The donated money will be given back in the form of goods to help THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP and THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY. I have always felt that social documentary photography should give back directly to the people in the photographs. It is an honour to be allowed into their lives and to photograph them. Giving something back is the right path to follow. 
 
Future Help Note* There might also be the option to sell the post show digital exhibition images if I can find buyers for the prints. 100% of that money would go back to the people in the pictures on my 2023 trip to continue the projects. I can get the prints back to sell from the gallery, if I can find buyers to help the people in the pictures (January 2023 after the 6 week exhibitions ends). If no buyers can be found then the prints might go into the Universities collection.
 
If your interested in a print to help the people in the photos, please let me know.
 
Note** Part of the artist fee money will be used to travel to Fredericton New Brunswick to attend the opening.
 
This photo was almost impossible to take. I was standing in total darkness photographing the family while holding 2 headlamps plus the camera. The ISO was out of this world, over 10 000 I think. Doubt they can print this 36 inches by 48 inches, but thought I would try to save the file. I feel it is an important picture, that tells an important story.
This was a new family to the dump, they had nothing, just sat in their shelter all night on top of the garbage, photographed them for about 1 week at the end of my 2018 series of trips to the dump (over 4 months). I gave the child the lollipop (solo in Burmese) before making the pictures that night. Handed out hundreds of lollipops over the 4 plus months I photographed in the dump in 2018.
New family in the garbage sitting in their shelter at night, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot Thailand, 2018

New family in the garbage sitting in their shelter at night, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot Thailand, 2018