Sunday, May 16, 2021

Trailer Toad For The Type C Motorhome?

Am learning more about towing, the dangers, the government regulations etc. One thing I learned today is that with a Type C motorhome you have a  trailer tongue weight limit of around 500lbs for most Type C Motorhomes. That is because with many Type Cs there is a huge overhang from the rear wheels of the RV to the bumper. If you put too much weight on that rear bumper (over 500lbs) it can become unsafe to tow the trailer. 

To counter that danger they have a device called a TOAD TRAILER. The toad trailer is a set of wheels that supports the weight of the tongue of the trailer being towed. It makes perfect safety sense to buy a unit like this, even thou it will be expensive ($3700CAD plus). I also read the toad wheels assist with overall trailer stability and helps reduce trailer wobble and shake.  

I wonder if it will help stabilize the darkroom trailer when it is still attached to the motorhome and I am walking around and working in it. It probably will, so that will be a second bonus. It will help me to make the towing safer and help the working stability inside the trailer.  Well worth the money I think!

I might be using one of these 'Trailer Toads" in the future. Here is what they look like.

Update: Posted this on my Facebook page, got lots of feedback and help from friends about towing. Thanks so much everyone. I now know the importance of packing my trailer properly see video below.

Update: Wrote to the Trailer Toad folks, they told me that a Toad was not necessary for my set up (their opinion)

Properly Loading A Trailer Video

Trailer Toads in action!