Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Young Dump Worker

 From Facebook.....

Today...

Burma is experiencing so many problems. So out of touch now with things, have no idea if the families are still allowed in the dump or if people have been deported from Thailand. I have been told one of the big problems Thailand is experiencing Covid-19 wise is Thais and Burmese crossing the border illegally and then bringing the virus back into Thailand.

Original Facebook/Blog post...

from the blog...
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Hardest Working Child In The Dump
Sitting on my lazy fat ass in security here in Canada I think back to this young lady from the dump. She is the 2nd daughter of the Win family. This young beautiful girl is around 12 years old. I have photographed her and her family for years. She works extremely hard, so so hard, hour after hour, usually next to her father.
 
Something is really f-cked up with this world when a child needs to work like this in garbage while others like myself have such an easy care free life. Imagine yourself living in that world, a world of garbage, filth, and poverty. Imagine what that would feel like. I just cannot understand how this happens in 2019. Maybe I can make up a series of photos of her the coming library thing, to tell her story more fully. Might also try to put a segment into my artist talk, speaking of her life and her story.

Note* I am not sure how hold she is, she told me her name and age , more than one time, but I have forgotten. I have it somewhere recorded on video. I need to be more organized, keeping things straight is hard, especially when people are speaking another language. In the dump it is quite difficult to keep everything in order, and Burmese names are very hard to remember, most are 3 syllables or longer. So many people, so many names, so many families. Of course the heat, smells, flies, rats and other distractions do not help things. Got to figure out a better way to remember names, ages and other details.
Update** Need to do more for this family next trip, more donation stuff. The family father and I are pretty good mates. He gave me a big hug one trip when I returned after being away for a year or so.
 
 
Child working the garbage, over many years.