Thursday, May 20, 2021

Talking About Dupree

Just had my talk with the English writer Richard W about Dupree Bolton and my time as a 21 year old in West Oakland California. He is writing a book about Dupree, who was a world class Jazz trump player. It was a fun and fascinating 45 minute talk. Some/parts of those stories and memories might make the book.
 
Richard also asked about the photos I made at the time, which I will look for now and try to forward to him. It is important that Dupree's story is told, he should not be forgotten. I was told he had been addicted to heroin since the 1940s, so he was already using for 40 years when I first met him in 1985-86.
 
I wished Richard luck in writing the book and he told me he would get back to me later. The photo is of Dupree about the time I knew him. I did not make this picture but I did photograph him on Tri-x wearing this same jean jacket. I photographed him on the street in San Francisco wearing it while holding his trumpet, and one time in a abandoned jazz club after he had shot heroin. He died about 6-7 years after I first met him.
 
Dupree was kind and friendly to me. I hope they show that ability to be kind in the book.

Dupree Bolton, photographer unknown

Update: Wrote this comment on Facebook when answering a comment made by a friend about the abuse.


GY- yes...the abuse was part of his life but I hope the book includes so much more. The writer wanted me to talk about his personality his thoughts, his friends etc. I hope the book is rounded and true to who Dupree was as a person. I guess originally the writer had done an article on him, and he is now expanding it to book form. He has been interviewing people for 20 years, many who have passed. I feel he is going to do something beyond the drug stuff, which is beautiful and the right way to go.