Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Voigtlander 655mm (25.8 inch) F6 With Chamonix Lensboard And Custom Lenscap

Am looking at a Voigtlander 655mm (25.8 inch) F6 brass lens. The lens is currently fitted on a 20x20 Chamonix camera, so I will be able to use the same lens board on my 16x20 Chamonix. The seller who is based in Vancouver also had a nice lens cap made for the lens. It is difficult to find these old brass lens (1870-1890s?) that cover 16x20 inches. I really like the fall off in focus when shooting wide open. I can also get some waterhouse stops made to shoot at smaller apertures if I need to (doubtful).

This could be the main lens I use to make portraits with for KANATA, my cross Canada wet plate project.

Update* Asked for help from an online Facebook friend, a lens expert type of guy. He said the lens is rare and very good, a  "Series IV, no 7, 24.5 inch focal length. He gave me a price in American dollars for the lens of $3000 USD. Which is close to what the Canadian seller wants in Canadian dollars, $4350 CAD. Other seller advantages include, a lens cap (important), a lens board (very important) and no extra taxes or duty as the lens will not be crossing the border. The seller is also including shipping form Vancouver to Edmonton.  I will need to pay off the lens in installments, being a guard really limits how much you can spend and how much you can buy photo gear wise.

Note* My plan is to visit the seller in Vancouver later at his studio into get some more first hand wet plate experience with him.  He is selling the lens to go all Petzval lens (more swirls in lens look).

20x20 Chamonix camera with Voigtlander 655mm F6 lens mounted
Sample of the lens sharpness (eyes) and fall off for portraits.

Sample shots made with the lens
The lens is large and heavy
Voigtlander 655mm F6 Brass Lens