Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Another Found FAMILIES OF THE DUMP Photograph

from Facebook...

Another found photo from THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP WORK, this photo is from 2018. I am working on the photos that might be part of the "Shades of Grey" magazine portfolio. I vaguely remember making this picture, it was in an area of the dump I called the SWAMP area. This is where these 2 men lived and slept. The mattress and and most everything else they owned was found in the garbage dump. 
The SWAMP was near a bunch of ponds, and shacks with lots of water about, on one side of the garbage dump. I was probably heading home at the point this picture was made because this area is where I would park my motorbike before going into the garbage (attracts less attention than driving directly in). 
The photo was made at probably around 1am, with almost no light. Often I would have to light the scene holding a flash light. All exposures were done digital at 10000 ASA with the aid of a small tripod. It was very difficult to make photos in the darkness, with the heat, smells, rats, cockroaches etc. The people I was photographing of course had lives 1000 times more difficult. Will return to garbage in 2020 with around $700 CAD of donation money to continue to help out, not much help, but better than not trying. We buy things like the headlamp the man his wearing in the photo, then donate it free to people all over the dump, young and old.
Two men in their home, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot garbage dump, Mae Sot, Thailand  2018