Thursday, February 13, 2020

Holding Hands In The Dump

from Facebook...

This photo has an difficult background memory. The picture was made in near total darkness, a quick grab shot in the night. It was later in the evening, after the donation handout, probably about 11 pm. I was standing and photographing in the black night, lighting the family members as they worked as best I could with 1-2 flashlights or using the constantly changing light from their moving headlamps for lighting. I thought I was alone in the pitch black with only the smells of the garbage around me. Suddenly reaching out of the darkness I felt a little hand grab my left hand. I was surprised, then I looked down to see a very small child staring up at me as she held my hand. She did not smile, she did not say anything, she just softly held my hand and looked up at me with the sweetest of eyes. The little girl held my hand for 4 or 5 minutes as we walked around a bit then she just wandered off into the night. Before she left me I gave her a lollipop. Over the 4 months I was photographing at night in the dump this same thing happened 3 times, each time by a different child (this was the 2nd time). Lovely lovely. children. They could do so much, be so much, if only they had a chance.
Little girl holds my hand, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot garbage dump, Mae Sot, Thailand 2018

Little girl holds my hand, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand 2018