Friday, October 16, 2015

Open Photo 2015 Opening Night

I had a nice night out, took mom to see the dad photo at the Alberta wide Open Photo 2015 photography exhibit. The exhibition was held at the Jubilee Auditorium's Kaasa Gallery (where I had my one man show a few years back). The Kaasa and the people at the Jubilee put a really nice night together. Even the food that I was too nervous to eat last time round was quite good. Met up with a couple of photo club friends and had some nice discussions. A few people I did not know talked to me about the dad photo. Mom cried a bit but had a fun night out.

How was this years exhibition?? Same as always, some good work, some so so work and some bad work (opinions differ on which is which). Once again not much people photography on view. Of the 40 works shown, I would say 2 photos had people as there main subject and not just a landscape style element. Basically there was no people photography, I am usually the only dude or at best (in past years of 50 photos) 1 of 5 pictures that show people. I was the only person that had social documentary photography photos (which can also be landscapes). The only guy in the province submitting social photography? That does not seem right, either they are rejecting that style or those photogs are simply not entering their work (probably the latter).

The crowd was OK but not great, I think that relates to the fact there were 29 total artists and some were from Calgary etc, too far to travel. There were 5 unused artist name tags at the door, probably from Edmonton, all no shows. Not sure why these 5 folks who had work exhibited did not show, sort of a classless, rude act on their part. Their not showing up, leading to a smaller turnout, could eventually close down this exhibition. Funding for these things is difficult and very limited. I would guess this cost the organizers $7000-8000. I know I invited lots of photo club folks and only 3 showed. That sucky support for photography in Edmonton is why we have almost no photos being exhibited in the city. It is frustrating at times to be around people who supposedly love photography (a bunch of BS!) but when the cards are down, they cannot be counted on to make an appearance. These half assed, less than committed folks are pulling down all those who truly love the art form.

Hopefully this event will happen next year and into the future, but that is far from a set thing. As Akemi Matsubuchi said in her newspaper interview, we need more of this in Edmonton, more exhibitions, more events, more classes, more everything photography related!
St Albert Gazette Show Interview

Anyway it was a nice night out, and I was glad I could take mom to visit dad. The same thing will happen next week on Saturday when I take her down to Rosebud to see the show hanging there. Dad is still with us in a way, not the way I want him to be, but he is still here. He is now hanging in 2 different galleries, in 2 different Alberta locals. I wonder what he would think of his photos, of discussion going on about his life, stories being told, memories relived. I think he would be happy and OK with it, even thou the pictures are harsh and difficult. I believe he would admire the truth and honesty behind the work. The straight forward look at his illness and death is something he would accept. Dying of cancer is not a pretty thing, and the photos show his anxiety, loneliness and even his pain.

Many people tonight that spent a little extra time looking at dads photo. It definitely stood out in this bunch of images as most of the others were digi compilation photos or pretty picture landscape related themes. Most people are used to looking at beautiful landscapes, but real life, real human drama? That's a bit different.

Mom and dad together
Some of the OK sized crowd, not quite enough for the large space
The dad photo was different in style than other photographs at the exhibit and drew attention.