Sunday, October 18, 2015

Getting That Names Right!

Question: How do I get the name and age print title-caption information right for all my large format photography subjects at the Mae Sot dump? I work alone with no assistants in difficult physical and environmental circumstances. I have very limited language skills in Burmese. How do I speak to my subjects, and get accurately recorded name/age data?

I thought up a radical new age way to do it today while driving home from work. What if I attached my small digi camera to the hot shoe of my Linhof 5x7 and when shooting the film stills put the digi camera in video mode (with sound recording as well). I can talk to my subject, ask them in Burmese their names and ages. The camera can record their answers for me. I do not need to make messy half assed notes which is a distraction. A big white dude writing stuff down might also frighten my subjects as they are sometimes damaged and persecuted people. Note taking and big cameras might be freaky deaky for them. I want and need them to be as comfortable as possible with the entire process. We need to work together to tell their stories. The video digital camera idea might help things proceed more calmly and fluidly.

The other advantage of doing digital video would be that I would get the names 100% right. Burmese names are fricking LONG! and CONFUSING! Most times when I was in the dump in 2013 I could not get their names written down correctly. Thai nicknames are easy to remember, and my Thai is relatively fluent in comparison to the Burmese so writing down nicknames and ages along with a photo ID number was not difficult. In this dump-Burmese situation video should work better. I could keep the video files for later film making use, and replay the name/age part back in the comfort of my hotel room where I could write down and record the information accurately.

I think this might be a winning idea as long as I have enough SD cards for all the files. This could turn out really well and it might also make for some interesting viewing later on during the gallery exhibition part of the process. If a great photo was made at some time, I would also have the video moment of the decisive exposure. You got to love modern tech!!