Thursday, July 11, 2013

Visit To The Alberta Gallery Of Art (AGA)

I renewed my membership and had a nice visit at the AGA today. The highlight of this trip was a exhibition of 19th century British photography, complete with albumen, carbon, salt, gelatin silver and daguerreotypes. The handed painted stereoscope Daguerreotypes were a real highlight along with the various salt, carbon and platinum prints.

Every time I see a platinum print it makes me want to try that process, maybe at some point when my shooting days are behind me and I am printing my large format work I can spend time printing platinum print portfolios. I also want to try salt prints, they have a very basic brown tone look to them that I like, not sure I will love this look but want to give it a try. One type of new (at least for me) photographic print I loved in this show are the carbon prints, a process I know nothing about but will research now.

I will probably go 2 or 3 times more to revisit these prints in the coming months, the AGA is a really wonderful place to spend time in. I wish they would put more compelling work (rather that the boring crap they usually show) into the RBC new works gallery (Alberta artists only) but other than that, what a  grand place to visit.