Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Leica Repair And Film Buy


I OKed the repair/servicing estimate today for some of my Leica equipment. I am getting a M6 body repaired and checked, along with a 21mm f2.8 and my older 50mm f1.4. The total cost of these repairs and maintenance will be over $800 CAD. Got to love Leica for their quality and sharp lens but gosh repairing/maintaining these things cost a fortune. I should get this gear back well before I leave for Thailand, I want to use the 21mm this coming trip. I still have one newer 50mm in need of repairs, I dropped the lens a few years ago, I will send that in later when I have more money saved.

I also sent out my first payment for 1/2 the 37 rolls of bulk Tri-x I am buying. This film was outdated back in 2012 and is selling for $50 a box but I expect to use 10 or 11 this coming trip so it should go pretty fast, probably within 3 years. I am eager to get this film into my freezer here in Edmonton, hopefully it does not take long to be shipped. 

Photo people spend money on all kinds of useless things, but when you buy film there is something pure and beautiful about it. The possibilities of what the film can become, the importance it can have overrides almost all other photo related spending. I recently had a discussion with a friend where he thought that money spent on photo social events was more important than buying film. For me it always comes down to buying film and making photographs, if you spend your money on film your always on the right track, other concerns like socializing, shows, gear, financial/time distractions that take you away from photography etc. are of secondary importance. Lets buy film, and lets make pictures, not excuses!