Saturday, July 13, 2013

25 Year Old Bulk Tri-x? No Problem!

I have several rolls of frozen 100 foot bulk Tri-x that dates back 25 years. Not sure why I never shot the film but there came a time thru the years where I thought the film was to old, fogged and useless, in fact I almost threw it out! I loaded one of these rolls last week into the bulk film loader and today shot a cassette for fun. Guess what! The film even after being frozen for 25 years looks fine, there might be a tiny bit of fogging but I cannot see it in the negs that are now in the wash. Got to love Tri-x it never dies! Now I feel much more confident with the recently purchased 37 rolls outdated in 2012 I will have coming in soon from the USA, which will go straight into my freezer. Heck I could buy frozen Tri-x outdated back in the 60s that would probably be OK.

I have to find something special to shoot with this long frozen film, maybe a series of close up high contrast images like the shots done today. I am not used to seeing or photographing the world close up, it might be fun to try that, its always exciting to look at things in new ways.

Below are some scans  (the first flower pics on the blog!) from the old old Tri-x test film, they were shot with the R6 and 60mm macro lens (hand held). The scans were manipulated to give them the high contrast, heavily burned look: