Sunday, July 21, 2013

Quotes: Mary Ellen Mark


"I think the most important thing is to do work that you believe in so that when your are seventy-five or eighty years old you can look back at what you've done and say "I've accomplished something." If you are interested photography because you love it and are obsessed with it, you must be self-motivated, a perfectionist, and relentless."

"I photograph people in difficult social situations, people who have difficult lives, but I never feel threatened by the people I photograph. They have a story to be told, I want to tell it, I want to be a voice for the unfamous people. Those are the people who interest me. Whether it's a guy in Miami Beach who goes to a dance or it's someone who's dying in Ethiopia, they're the unfamous people that I care about. I feel a certain purity in them that's real, and I want to document their lives."

"I want to make the magazine work I do, the documentary work I do, add up to something. At the end of my life I want to look back at what I've done and say 'This hasn't been for nothing', I don't want my work to be empty...."