Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ladyboy Submission Proposal "Ying-Chai"

"What is male, what is female?"

I have been thinking a lot over the last few weeks of the reasons behind my making of the ladyboy photographs. Sometimes when you create its a process of the unwilling, its like you are not sure why your doing it but you know its what you need to do, what you have to do. I believe my photography of ladyboys through the years is an attempt to understand their (and our) duality of person. It was a search for,  a need to try to understand the dual female and male roles we all play.

Everyone to a degree has male and female characteristics and influences, the ladyboy just has a more pronounced  way of showing it. They have a mixing, a sameness and blending of sexual and personal roles, a connection that combines both their female and the male parts. This is what I was trying to understand and express in my photographs. By working with them I was in search of a greater understanding of what roles males and females play and how those roles affect who we are, who I am.

I will make a submission to the AGA and elsewhere that deals with these feelings, with these themes. I will call it Ying-Chai  (Pooying = Female in Thai, and Poochai means Male in Thai).