Friday, June 15, 2012

The Simplest Of Pleasures

Am finally working in the darkroom printing tonight, it is only my first session of the week, hopefully I can squeeze in at least 2 more before next weeks work week.

As I was printing some small 8x10 I was watching the fish in my darkroom fish tank (yes I have a fish tank in my darkroom!). I am always surprised how the simplest things can give you pleasure and make you feel good.

A few weeks back when I was out cycling I came across an abandoned property with a house, garage etc. In the garage I found an old short piece of 4 inch black plumbing pipe, it was just a small thing off in the corner of the building, just some garbage no one needed. When I saw it I thought "hey I can put that in my darkroom fish tank" for my Jack Dempsey fish (Cichlid fish who love to hide in rocks and such). I picked it up, put it in my bag, cycled home, cleaned it up and put it in the tank.

Today as I was working on a boxing photo and a photo of a young girl in Lao I was watching 2 of the fish as they squeezed into this small piece of plastic pipe, happy as clams (err fish). Not sure why such a silly thing makes me feel good but it does. I guess its because I was able to salvage something that was being wasted and that I gave the fish somewhere to feel comfortable. Now the fish have a little home where they can watch me agitating my print trays.

I know this story is VERY exciting and your glad you wasted 2 minutes of your life reading it, but wait there is more, will post a digi photo later! So check back later for a Jack Dempsey fish update!

Now back to the dark and my printing, going to try to make up 5 or 6 8x10s today, am working on number 2 now. There is something wonderful and special about being in the darkroom, I have BB King sweet guitar playing along and the people I photographed in days past staring back at me in the yellow glow of the safe lights.

Ain't Photography Grand!