Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Following Your Heart

I have been studying the work of some new photographers lately, one out of Turkey named Nuri Bilge Ceylon (my friend Larry Louie showed me a stunning book by this photographer) and Nick Rain (found him by accident online) a wonderful 35mm documentary film photographer.



Photographs by Nuri Bilge Ceylan


When I see the great work like I have been viewing lately I enjoy it tremendously but am also envious of what I see (sort of my negative side coming out). It is all so intimidating the work is so good, so strong you wonder how you can ever do anything that will even come close to matching photographs with that much power.

I believe what I need to do is to keep working hard, to follow my heart, to do the best I can. I can only do what I can do, I will push myself as hard as I can to communicate the message I need to tell. My heart should take me in the right direction, it should lead me to the people who need their stories told and it should help me tell those stories.

After years and years of struggling (self taught) to get better at the technical aspects of film photography and darkroom work I finally feel I am ready to chase down the photographs I have always wanted to chase down. I hope I am not to late! I am 48 and aging rapidly!