Monday, February 28, 2011

Cambodian Brothel: Ugliness and Sadness

Today I remember back to the time of these photos. In my memory I was in the back of the brothel behind the workers. I sat with the Cambodian family who ran the place. To be allowed in I had to buy a can of coke for $5 and so I sipped it for several hours and watched, listened and tried to practice my Khmer. I had started at that point to write in Khmer (since forgotten) and was trying to learn some vocabulary as well. I remember watching the backs of the brothel workers as they sat on these cheap plastic chairs facing out to the dirt road trying to entice passing Cambodian males. I kept thinking, I have to tell their story to show others their horrific world (many workers in the brothels of Cambodia are tricked or sold into a life of sex slavery).

What has happened to them in the 8 years since these photos were made? Died of Aids? Beaten? Forgotten? Or possibly/hopefully still alive and living away from the brothels, perhaps even happily.





Please Help By Clicking

Please click and visit the advertising links if you can, all money earned goes towards my film and photo paper costs. When you click on the advertising you help tell the stories I am trying to tell. Thank you for your kindness and supportGERRY