Friday, August 13, 2021

Figuring Out How To Use The Large Linhof Tripod Safely!

The good part about buying lots of photo stuff all the time is that sometimes you end up accidentally finding an unintended purpose for an old piece. Fifteen plus years ago I bought a tripod type thing for my small studio off eBay. The seller also threw in a set of locking wheels for the gizmo. I packed away the wheel stand thing and forgot about it

Fast forward to 2021. 
 
I set up my HF2024 a few days ago on a large strong geared head Lihof tripod. The tripod holds the weight of the camera/lens and holder well but is still unstable. My problem is the tripod legs do not lock into place. If one of the legs moves back or forth my beautiful camera could go crashing down.
Last night I remembered the tripod wheels thingy. I tried it out today on the Linhof tripod without the camera and everything seemed to lock down pretty well. The wheels have two settings, on the wheels or locked into the ground like a normal tripod.
 
I will give this setup a try, see how she handles with cameras mounted. The plan is to use this outfit with my 16x20 and the tripod/wheels plus a second tripod with the HF2024.
Hope this works!
 
The proposed set up