Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Cost Of 20 Liters of Silver Nitrate Solution

Did some preliminary math calculations based on my current suppliers buy cost for Silver Nitrate powder. If I use 20 liters of Silver Nitrate solution for my 35x35 wet plate ambrotype images (not sure if 20L is enough). The cost would be about $2240 CAD plus shipping.

100 grams = $160 CAD

70 grams per liter mean I will need 1400grams 

1400 grams of Silver Nitrate powder will make 20 liters of  Silver Nitrate solution (you mix it with distilled water). $2240 CAD is a lot of money and you need to remember that the Silver Nitrate solution needs to be replenished fairly often. So the costs will be much higher than that.

The spent money is well worth it if I can make important photographs, that is the key, critical point as always. If you make strong photos that matter, everything else is secondary.

Update*I will probably mixing near 90 grams of silver nitrate per litre of distilled water.

Update**  I found a cheaper source of SN in China through an established, older chemical company that makes the stuff. Ordered 500 grams. Will give them a try. Their price is quite a bit cheaper than anything I have found in Canada and the USA. If I buy in larger quantities it will be cheaper still. They offer a great price if I buy 5000 grams at a time.  Will test (make sure it is delivered and see how it works) the 500 gram buy this first time and move on from there.

Silver Nitrate Powder