Friday, March 6, 2020

Possible "Shades Of Grey" Magazine, UNB Art Centre Exhibition Photograph

from Facebook...

Another possible photo for "Shades of Grey' mag, and or UNB exhibition.

I photographed the wedding of the father in this photograph back in 2013. He got married at 17 to his 15 year old bride directly in the garbage dump. This picture was made a few years later in 2015-16, with his young son Chemeeko. The family also had a baby daughter in 2016 and in 2018 the mother of the family was expecting a 3rd child. When I went to the dump in 2019, they had returned to Burma (THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP are Burmese refugees). I was told the family grand mother had gotten sick, so everyone went back home.
When I return to the garbage in 2020, will look for them again. I hope they safe. and healthy. Just before the last time I saw them when I left the dump in 2018 the father in this photo had been bitten by a wild dump dog. We gave him some money for treatment, but am unsure what happened to him, or if his 3rd child was born safely. That is the way it is sometimes at the dump, people you are close to and know well simply disappear.
Little Chemeeko with his father, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot garbage dump, Mae Sot, Thailand 2015

Little Chemeeko with his father, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot garbage dump, Mae Sot, Thailand 2015