Thursday, March 5, 2020

Possible "Shades Of Grey" Magazine, UNB Art Centre Exhibition Photograph

Here is Nui-ooh. This little girl always gives me this look of 1/4 curiosity and 3/4 sheer terror when I photograph her in the dump. I have been making pictures of her and her and her family for 7 years now, each and every time Nui-ooh gives me a variation of this same expression, and will stay fixated and staring at me long after I have stopped making photographs. The one time I have seen her smile and relax was when I gave her a doll which had been donated by a little girl in Canada (the daughter of a lady I work with). That one time she was all smiles, stopped the HORROR STARE and played with her new toy.

This photograph was made as Nui-ooh was walking through the garbage alone, near where her mother and father were working. She often just plays and wanders the dump next to her working family (has 2 sisters and 2 brothers). Nui-ooh is a bit older now (this photo is from 2016) so I expect her to be working the garbage beside her bothers and sisters soon.
Nui-ooh walking the garbage, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot garbage dump, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2016