Saturday, January 25, 2014

Street Kid With Dog And Kinda Alive Crawfish

I had some problems printing the last "Street Kid" negative so I have moved on to the photo below of a street kid hugging a dog. This young man had bad burn scars on his face and was missing parts of several fingers. Whenever I was near him thou he was always smiling and joking with his friends. I wish I would have more time and film to work more on this series, there are lots of photos to be made and its an very important subject.

On a side note, I did something rather strange this afternoon. I found some Lake Tahoe kinda alive crawfish at a local Chinese grocery store. I ended up buying $5 worth and split them up into my 2 fish tanks.  I am not sure any will survive but they were dead soon anyway so I thought I would try the Buddhist release make merit thing and give them another shot at life. So far some are running about and some not moving at all (probably dead). It is quite a strenuous journey from Nevada, to a grocery store, to my tanks but who knows some might live. Thought I would give them the chance.

Here is the print from tonight, day 4 of 90 in the darkroom. There are 4 different burns and 3 different dodges in this print. I will try to bleach the dog to bring it out more, am not sure if the contrast is right. Shot with a 21mm, which gives it that nice distortion I would like to get into more of my negs, maybe I should leave the 28mm home next trip and go with 3 cameras and 3 lens only, 21mm-35mm-60mm. If I cut down to 3 lens it would help with the weight and simply my shooting more (something I try to do). The only problem is in the past many of my favourite shots were made with the 28, it is also a bit faster than date 21, F2 versus F2.8.