Monday, December 23, 2013

Two More Workshops Lining Up

I have 2 more workshops lining up for the new year, one is a darkroom the other a view camera. If these 2 workshops happen I can use the $170 to buy me some more 8x10 Iflord. I hope to use the Ilford for the continuation of the white background sex worker images (cheaper than Tri-x). I would prefer to use Tri-x for everything but the 8x10 size is so expensive its just plain scary. I have $4000 worth of 8x10 Tri-x purchased before the price increases in my freezers but I am saving that film to use for available light portraiture. I think the HP5 will work fine in the studio white background sex worker series, I have used it a few times in the past to good effect.

I have a bit of photography raised money coming in now, so I will use it all to buy the HP5. I got $50 for my talk, there will be another $170 for these 2 workshops and in another 3 or 4 months I should have another $100+ from blog advertising. Film is the most important thing I can buy with this money, film is the key. I remember having a disagreement with a friend about this, I said that buying film was more important than club related socializing spending, he felt that was wrong thing to say, a mistake of some kind. I just have to disagree with him, with film you can create new work, and in my mind thats where its at, thats what we should all be doing all the time, making pics! What can be more important than spending money on film? Hopefully these coming Ilford 8x10 buys will lead to some strong imagery.

The other kind of cool thing about film is that it has an expiry date on them. You have got to shoot the film before it gets to old. The 5x7 film I bought years ago is yelling for me to shoot it now, it was outdated in 2008, thou I have had it frozen since I bought it, its screaming at me now "SHOOT ME! YOU LAZY BASTARD!!" Because of this deadline-outdated thingy I am gearing up to shoot my 5x7 Linhof next trip. I will probably take around 400- 500 sheets of 5x7 with me to Asia and shoot it in 5 weeks. 

After creating some decent results from last trips 35mm work it will be hard to leave the Leica's behind, I might have to take 1 or 2 of those cameras along as well. This of course flies in the face of my earlier don't be dazzled by toys blog!! Hey folks if this stuff was easy to figure out then it would be no fun to do! All the problems, difficulties and failures make it that much more rewarding when things do work out.