Friday, February 8, 2013

To Many Cameras!

I just did a bit of more work in the darkroom, I made up some RC prints of some previously forgotten negs from Klong Toey. Last night I looked through several binders and pulled some possible negs to print for the show, what is a bit surprising is I found stuff in some weirder formats that I quite like.

I found 4 possible images made with the fuji 6x9 camera that I might print, one shot of a school girl on the tracks dressed in uniform will probably make the show selection, another of an interior of a Klong Toey residents home as he is watching TV is probably a show neg.

What I was surprised to find thou were 2 Xpan panoramic shots that I liked quite a bit. I find the Xpan format extremely hard to compose (to much empty useless space in the shot). The 2 shots I just worked on are quite nice and fill that large neg with important details. One is a semi close up shot of a bus and 2 passengers (kind of wish there were a few more passengers). The second shot was made in Klong Toey Market and is filled with moving people from edge to edge, this one is just fun to look at, everyone is in their own little worlds as they walk to or from the camera.

I will start working on these 4 negs tomorrow. It looks like I will have the following formats in the show, 35mm, 35mm panoramic, 6x9 and 4x5. Gosh thats a lot of different cameras, I will look like a guy who can't make up his mind, like a guy who changes off cameras constantly, which is very true!

Now I have another dilemma looming! I have to many cameras I want to take to Asia this next short 3 week trip. The Xpan has entered into the equation as I would love to try to do more bus/people shots. That format might also work well if I can use it to photograph multiple people scavenging in the dump at Mae Sot. Another bonus is this format will be different than the dozens of photogs who have shot and will shoot the people who work in Mae Sot, like the recent Polish photog who emailed me. Photos made with the Xpan camera  have a unique look and feel to them, and when they work, they work quite well.

Right now (could change tomorrow) my probable cameras for the trip will be:

Leica M6 with 28 F2 lens and 21mm F2.8 lens (maybe only the 28mm).
Xpan with 45mm F 4 lens (allows me to shoot panoramic or standard 35mm .
Linhof 4x5 with 150mm F5.6 lens.

So much for traveling light!