Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Studying Jock

I have been studying the composition of Jock Sturges again in his book "Misty Dawn Portrait of a Muse"

Looking at the simplicity and the beauty of these portraits makes me want to follow Jock's advice and simplify my equipment and technique. I think the next 4 or 5 times I go out with my photo buddies to do some local shooting I will take only 1 camera (Kodak Masterview 8x10), 1 lens (250mm Fuji F6.3), and 1 film HP5 (its quite a bit cheaper than Tri-x).

If I simplify as Jock suggested, I think it will help my photography. Simplification of technique will allow me to truly understand one lens, one camera and one film, it all should become second nature to me, the work should just flow naturally and I should forget about the tools.

I look forward to the day (hope its coming!) when I can make 8x10 portraits in the field look as effortless as Jock does.

Misty Dawn by Jock Sturges