Sunday, August 26, 2012

Grant Submitted

Well I got the grant submission to the Alberta Foundation for the Arts people today. The deadline for the grant is Sept 1 and I got it off August 26, heck thats 6 days early!, I am getting good at this .   : )

The grant is for $5000 of an estimated budget of $10 500, the project is 7 weeks in Mae Sot Thailand to photograph "The Families of the Mae Sot Garbage Dump. The idea of the project is to do 35mm and 4x5 photography of individuals, and family groups. I want to show the lives of the Burmese families who work the dump scavenging for recyclable. I want to give these people a voice they have become the forgotten minority. This project has become very important to me, the more I learn about the Burmese, their language, culture and history, the more I want to tell this story.

The great Walker Evans shot of the Fields family keeps haunting my thoughts. I want to photograph the Burmese family groups in a similar style, with compassion and understanding.

Fields family, by Walker Evans
http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2012/06/haunted.html