Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Peoples Project" Continues

Well I will be back in Thailand in September working on my "Peoples Project". This trip is only going to last 3 weeks so I am not sure how much work I can accomplish, it is shorter by 2 weeks than any other trip I have taken to Asia.

I do want to try to photograph two subjects. I want to do a series of 4x5 head shot portraits of people in Klong Toey slum and also do a series of portraits on Muay Thai boxers. Not sure if I can find the boxers but another photographer I met online recently Lung Liu photographed in the Muay Thai gyms near Klong Toey, I hope to follow in his footsteps. I need to find the gyms, introduce myself, make some friends, learn about the life they lead, and then hopefully make some meaningfull portraits. Later on I will return with large prints to give as gifts to the people who pose.

Am very excited at the chance to finally get out and make photographs again. I think this will be the first trip to Thailand where I will do absolutely no new sex worker portraits, maybe I can continue that work at a later date. I have always been fascinated by Muay Thai and the discipline and hard work it requires. Ever since my last trip to Klong Toey I have wanted to return and do portraits of the people there with my 4x5, now that will happen!  Ain't Photography Grand!