Friday, August 26, 2011

The Importance Of Names

Talked to the judge at last nights photo open competition (Eleanor Lazare), she spoke to me about the need to humanize my portraits with the inclusion of a name. I think she is right, I do need to do that. We talked a bit about the great photog Fazal Sheikh and his use of names along with his portraits.

I have to make an effort to get the the name (or nickname) of all the people I photograph for the "Peoples Project" I am not sure how to coordinate that exactly. How do I get the face and names right and not all mixed up with the hundreds of subjects I plan to work with?

Maybe I need to take a small digital camera, take the persons photo with that as well, then write there name on a piece of paper and photograph that afterwords. If I do that I can connect the face and name years later when I might be printing the negatives from the shoot.