Saturday, March 5, 2011

Trips This Year

Am looking to travel to Asia as soon as I have enough money to do it. I wanted to go earlier in the year but with the film/camera and framing costs for the shows the money was not there. Will book 2 trips for later in 2011, I expect to spend 3 weeks in Cambodia and 5 weeks in Thailand this year.

My hope in Cambodia is to do a series related to survivors of the Khmer Rouge, and also I want to do a series on children who scavenge through garbage to survive in Phnom Penh. I read a CNN story several years back that talked about this subject and ever since then this story has haunted my thoughts. I need to go there and try to learn, to understand and to interpret what I find.

When I return to Thailand I expect to do 4x5 view camera portraits for the Khon Thai series, will will work all out out and try to shoot upwards of 500 sheets. I will concentrate on the people of Klong Toey and maybe some other Thai slums in Bangkok, might not leave the city, plenty of people to photograph in Bangkok, 15-20 million?

I wish I could just leave and make these photos now but with the coming group June 3rd show and the group show in Oct along with all the costs involved with buying film (around $3000) camera gear ($5000+) and now framing ($600+ even thou I am cutting the frames myself with the help of a good a friend) a trip now to Asia would be impossible. Hopefully I can sell a print or 2 in the shows to help offset some of these costs and help pay for the next trip overseas.

Will concentrate on saving and paying off the money owed and then saving money for this years trips. I need to stop buying any new gear and spend my money on 2 things, film and MAKING PICTURES!