Monday, November 29, 2010

Two Peoples?

I have noticed more then ever how there seem to be two distinct worlds in the bar areas. There is the Thai world and the farang world. Many farang hang out in groups and seem oblivious to the Thai world around them. I met a farang on the beach the other day who told me he had lived in Thailand for the last 5 years but did eat Thai food only farang food. How the hell do you live in Thailand and not eat Thai food? This same man had an eye for the girls as we talked, I sort of felt like I was observing a different world than his because right in the middle of our conversation he would become distracted and start commenting on some Thai girl near by (legs, face, breasts). Here was a guy maybe 20 years older than me who basically had his tongue hanging out as the girl passed, I had not even noticed her. I talked to two other older farang the same day and had the same experience. Many times I also noticed an anti women and anti Thai sentiment. I have never been able to understand why people so critical of Thailand, live in Thailand.