Tuesday, November 23, 2010

First Color Ring Flash Heads

Did my first color ring flash head shots today of 2 ladies who worked freelance, one was 57 and one 60 but they looked older. I shot them in my room against blue and green backgrounds, think I might have got some good photos today. I also made appointments to shoot 1 lady tomorrow at 4pm and my first two LBs at 1030 pm. I am trying to be more selective in who I shoot, trying to find visually strong people to photograph.

I think the film will go fast, I have 60 rolls of 220 Portra to use up in the next week to 10 days. I hope to get out of here in 1 week but we will see. I also shot a single roll of 35 panoramic and 1 roll of 6x9 120 Tri-x with the 2 ladies today.

Got here around 4 pm and went for a walk met some Thais on the street selling various things, I want to photograph them with the 4x5 or with the 6x9 and flash. I need to get up my nerve to carry the larger camera with tripod on the street here. The whole thing sort of becomes a spectacle and attracts lots of attention, something I am not fond of. I think thou it should be ok because I will be photographing Thai people only and people working regular jobs (not sex workers).

I met one girl from last year who remembered my name, not bad for 1 year and 6 months! I said hi to her and called her by name and there was a delay about 5 seconds before she said, "Gerry?" Then a big hug and a nice little talk, might try and photograph her again this trip. I also met 4 ladyboys today who I have known for a while, one who I had not seen since 2003 remembered me as well. I will try to photograph as many ladyboys as I can this trip, because they are so visually strong and also because I hope to learn and understand more about their lives. Every time I have a conversation with a Thai person I learn a bit more and understand a bit more so it is sort of a progressive learning thing. Learn more language equals learn more culture equals learn more about the people equals better photographs.

The Thai came a bit hard today, kept flubbing words and searching for them. Today I spoke more Thai than anytime in the last 1 year 6 months, and my brain and mouth hurt. I usually become fast friends with whoever I talk to and rarely have a negative experience. People are so friendly in Thailand even those who have seen the worst kind of farang.

Today when I was walking home to the hotel from the 7/11 with some supplies I stopped to watch TV from the street at a bar. Above me drinking were some German men and 2 Thai bar workers. One German man was very drunk and kept pawing the Thai lady who was working with him, she was maybe 35 years his junior. At one point the farang put his face down into her breasts and started kissing, talking and rubbing, the poor Thai girl (maybe 20 years old) was so embarrassed and uncomfortable, was sad to see it. In Thai culture holding hands in public is done rarely if at all, mostly by young people in shopping malls, sometimes on the street. Hugging, kissing and public affection is almost never seen, the rules in the bar areas are different thou and she cannot complain, she just must try to laugh it off and get him to stop. What always surprises me is how blind the farang man is in this situation, can he not see how disgusted the girl is with him when he acts this way? It is like the guy is blind and does not see what is inches in front of him. I was several feet away and could feel how repulsed she was by his behaviour. Maybe the guy just does not give a shit, for him the girl is bought and paid for her and he has the right to do what he wants. I can still see her eyes when the guys head was in her breasts.

Ugly place going to make my photos then got out of here.