Monday, November 29, 2010

Heading to Bangkok Soon

Heading back to Bangkok tomorrow. I have shot 11 people over the last 2 days and have another 3 to do before I check out tomorrow at 12 noon. I am a bit worn down by this type of shooting to much like working a job. I want to get back on the streets and into Klong Toey meeting real people and shooting a bit of their lives with the 35mm cameras and also want to get out the 4x5 and shoot that some.

I am happy I have got these color ring flash shots done as a backup to the coming show, I think I shot several strong photographs but its a bit of been there done that. Someone once told me I am in my comfort zone when it comes to these photographs. I think the comfort zone comment is right on the mark, I need to step out of that zone and force myself to work in a new direction and in new ways.

Going to rest up a bit tonight, go have a foot massage and a nice meal, then to sleep and 3 more shoots tomorrow. I still have time to do more straight documentary work and if I need to I will return to Thai before the show to continue this work. I will put the sex worker photographs behind me for a while maybe for a few years. I might like to try some more white background 8x10 stuff but not for at least a year or 2.

Seeing lots here and meeting interesting folk. I met a farang man about 50 who has lived here for 7 years. He owns two bars a short time sex bar (with pretty girls and shortime rooms on the premises) and a friendly beer bar for regulars where the girls are older and do not push the customers to buy lady drinks. This fellow Mike has daily massages, gets a daily shave for about $2.25 and gets serviced in other ways as needed. Mike seemed very happy but it seemed somehow to be an empty life, a life of having others serve you and a life of leisure. Where are the goals? What will you leave behind? Life should be more than seeking your own pleasure, it should be about helping those around you and contributing something positive to society.