Thursday, June 17, 2021

8000lb Hitch System And Break Controller

Today there were more small steps forward in the pursuit of making ambrotypes on the road for the wet plate project. I got the brake controller installed today and also picked up the hitch set up (still have to put that together).

The brake controller is a "Draw-Tite" (for the trailer brakes). The hitch is a "Trutrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System". The system is geared to handle up to 8000lbs, it should do me fine because I hope to not go over 4000lbs, 5000lbs at most. I guess the trailer 7-pin wiring was sort of farm rigged, they spent 4 hours deciphering the weird ass wire setup today. Its all good now thou! Everything is fixed and read to move forward. 
 
Tomorrow am taking the motorhome "Fanny" on the road for the first time, a 2 day camping trip to a nearby Edmonton lake. I want too see how she feels on the highway and test out her camping systems, shower etc. In 2 weeks I hope to take the RV+trailer out on the road together for the first time!! Now with this hitch set up almost done, it will soon be possible to pull "Freddy" the lovely wet plate darkroom.
 
I already have several near Edmonton places I want to go to make ambrotypes. Will be doing 4x5 to 16x20 plates this summer and fall. The really big stuff is a ways off. Am pretty tired but also happy and excited. My head is filled with photographs I hope to eventually make.
 
"Ain't Photography Grand!!"
 
Note* I also need to add a 2 5/16" hitch ball on the front of the motorhome. The idea there is that if I get into some kind of can't turn around problem, I will still have the option to unhook the trailer from the back of the RV and attach it to the front for a push/pull out of my predicament. Sort of an emergency last option thing. I could also use the front hitch to push the trailer into a difficult parking spot if needed (would be a pain to do, but nice to have the option).
 
Note** I feel happy that I will have a very safe hitch set up. Now going up and down mountains across Canada, driving countless highways and dirt roads, I will have more confidence. 

Note*** I also bought a rear view backing camera. I plan on putting 2 cameras on the system, one on the back of the RV and the second on the back of the darkroom Trailer "Freddy". I will be able to see better when backing and be able anticipate, track and prepare for vehicles passing me from behind.
 
Brake Controller
The large heavy duty hitch