Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Polygon Gallery, Vancouver

Am in Vancouver for 4 nights after flying here from Edmonton yesterday.. This afternoon filled with hope and excitement I went to North Vancouver to visit the Polygon Photography Gallery. My summary of the experience is as follows. A great world class building, a wonderful friendly, kind staff and SHITTY exhibitions. It was so terribly disappointing!

The gallery exhibited  2 sets of the most boring and uninspiring photographs I have ever witnessed. I have been to many, many exhibits of photography around the world over the years, today’s experience might rank as the worst ever. It was actually painful to witness the waste of space, the terrible lack of feeling, emotion or impact in the photographs. What a disappointing use of a wonderful space. The galleries were wasted, unused and empty of visitors. Empty walls every where, no discussion, no interest in the photography being shown. Can the curating staff not see that?

So many quality and devoted photographers world wide dream of exhibiting their work at a facility like the Polygon. Instead they show this crap, the piss poor garbage, that I saw today. I would give my left thumb to be exhibited at the gallery! As would so many photogs! Curating staff of the Polygon, you can do so much more, WAKE UP! Live up to your facility, strive for much more!! God the work hung should inspire, should motivate, should push boundaries! What I saw only pushed everyone to sleep!

Update* I sent a rather critical email to the director of the Polygon gallery and he responded personally, which is a first class thing to do. I might have been overzealous in my criticism. Not the first time my passion for my particular type of photography has gotten me in trouble. Need to temper myself somewhat and be more respectful of the choices others make. Live and learn Gerry, live and learn!

The Polygon Gallery